This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
KTA Advocates (Formerly Karuhanga Tabaro &Associates) is a specialized IFLR recommended law firm focusing on technology, media, telecommunications, intellectual property & construction law. We advise clients on the financing, exploitation and protection of their creative and commercial assets in these sectors. Alongside its special commercial expertise, the firm’s team of specialized attorney’s provides full legal service across various sectors like corporate governance, project finance, international trade, dispute resolution & arbitration, tax finance, civil & commercial litigation, employment and real estate & property. The firm’s clients range from leading businesses in banking, e-commerce, entertainment, technology, beverage &hospitality, telecommunications, broadcast entertainment, music and publishing through to platforms, content retailers and early stage entrepreneurs. The firm also provides legal support and lobbies decision makers on behalf of clients on a wide range of matters, including data protection and privacy, cyber security, anti-competition, copyright, trade and e-commerce. The firm is also a member of the Amani IP Network of Intellectual Property Practitioners in the region. The firm also works with other trusted overseas law firms, with similar media, technology and IP focus, covering all key worldwide jurisdictions.
1. In Fintech practice, the team advises four leading commercial banks on their financial technology offerings. The TMT practice group has advised and is still advising on the licensing of JumiaPay, DIMO and SafeBoda Cashless
2. The team regularly advises some of Africa’s leading telecos; Airtel Uganda & MTN on issues to do with regulatory compliance, data protection and Privacy in line with newly enacted Data Protection and Privacy Act 2019
4. The team advises and represents some of Africa’s leading Internet Service Providers (ISP’s) under the Internet Service Providers Association of Uganda (ISPAU), These include IwayAfrica (Echonet), Simbanet, Roke Telkom, Gilat Telecom and Liquid Telecom
5. The team advised on the ground breaking National ICT Initiatives Support Program (NIISP), a program aimed at facilitating the Government’s Agenda “Digital Uganda Vision”, through creating a sustainable ecosystem for ICT innovators and Application Developers. Through this support 60 Ugandan startups received funding from the Ministry of ICT
6. The team is advising National Agricultural Genetic Research Institute (NAGRIC), the Government of Uganda and the Ankole Cow Board on the registration of the Ankole Longhorn Cattle as a Geographical Indication locally through Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) and internationally at WIPO through the Libson System
7. The team has also advised the Government of Nigeria and Ghana respectively on the protection of Pepa Yam, Kola nut and cocoa as well as Kente cloth as Geographical Indications.
8. The firm annually organizes a signature technology event dubbed the “Annual Symposium on Technology and Intellectual Property”, which brings together industry leaders and stakeholders every year. https://www.symposium-iptech.com.
Amani IP & Tech LLP,
Africa Legal Awards,
Global IP Attorneys,
Chambers & Partners